First let me apologize if this post sounds crazy... I just woke up from a Lortab induced nap!
I started going to the singles ward with Jessie soon after the divorce finalized. Not only was it great going to church with my first best friend and still a best friend to this day (20+ years) - but the Bishop and his wife were long time family friends as well. The first time I went to that ward the spirit was so strong and I knew I needed to be in this ward. I figured it was because I was already so close to the Bishop and his wife and having my bestie there with me also... but little did I know what else would be coming with it!
March 20th sitting in sacrament and a handsome guy in a green tie is sitting on the stand waiting to bless the sacrament. I leaned over to Jessie and said, "That Green Tie sure is cute!" He caught me peeking at him and I gave a smile and turned away blushing, I'm sure.
Jessie told me that if I mentioned it to Whitney (the Bishops wife) she would love to introduce me to Mr. Green Tie. But I shook my head and said- This time, I'm not looking for a relationship. If its meant to be, it will happen. But I'm not going to pursue it or go searching for someone. So the rest of the day we kept glancing at each other and left it at that. I even told Jessie- he's way too cute for me and probably wouldn't have the time of day for me with all these other girls googly eyed over him too!
The next day at Family Home Evening was swing dancing. We all got in a circle and after learning a new dance move we'd rotate partners. I was about three guys away from him in the beginning and when I got to him I was all sorts of nervous but my previous dance experience kept me somewhat confident! We tried small talking in between the instructors directions - what I learned was he worked at Five Buck Pizza and that turned me off so I thought nothing else of him. I instantly thought he was fresh out of high school, working in pizza and nothing else. Shallow- right? I always wondered why he didn't explain... I'm the manager of Five Buck Pizza, finishing school in Marketing, served a mission... but now I know he is simply humble and doesn't need to elaborate to impress people. Don't worry though, he came up to me throughout the night and we talked more. His half smile made me twitter-pated each time!
That same week, Friday night was a Regional activity at Classic Skating. As Jessie and I were skating around all of a sudden Green Tie skates up behind me. We went around a few times talking. Then it turned into Snowball time. Of course they made it girls choice first! I went around and got to where he was, as I got closer I tried to stop but the ledge stopped me first! I hit the ledge and fell into Green Tie... I got his attention and off we went skating! As the night went on he stayed closed. He was on skates and I was on roller blades. He kept telling me to switch to skates and he'd help me learn. I gave in. I ended up switching blades for skates and he stayed with me the entire night. He was so cute about it! By the end of the night he had my number and texted me the next day.
Sunday night he came over to watch a movie. We talked more than walked the movie. I actually think it played twice. That's how much talking we did! He asked the question, "So, did you serve a mission?" This became a frequent question at church as I would show up to temple night or talking about temple experiences. I shook my head no and I could tell he was processing all the reasons of why I took my endowments out then. I then asked if he was ready for this.... I said I was previously married for three years. He asked if I wanted to talk about it or if I'd rather not. I told him all about the situation and I love how he reacted. He told me how much he respected me and was impressed by my attitude towards it all.
I was never expecting anything to come from Green Tie, but from that moment, I knew he was someone special. The love and compassion he had as he listened to me talk about my past was something I've never seen before. He was listening to me and wanted to be there with me. That was the first of many long nights of us talking about church and our faith in the church. I've never had that type of a relationship with a guy before.
And we all know how it ends! Or better yet... how its all beginning with this new chapter!
Yay yay yay. So happy for you and glad you are happy. You deserve it and I love you to pieces!!!!!
ReplyDeleteNo one is too good for YOU bestie! You are absolutely amazing! I am so thankful you two found each other. Love you both!
ReplyDeleteP.S. This blog makes more sense than our conversation earlier ;)
P.S.S. Told you that you were tired! lol
Love this! Such a cute story and the two of you are so cute. I am so happy for you Jenna!
ReplyDelete